The Oversew Fashion Awards held in Wairarapa, New Zealand, promotes 'upcycled' fashion by recognising talented, aspiring designers. Space Between was involved as a category sponsor, judging, and offered an internship to an award winner. The brief was to create a smart, contemporary outfit, 80% of which to be constructed from pre-loved, dated or second-hand clothing. Independent designer Jessica Wigg was the recipient of the Space Between internship for her project DARK KNIGHT.
This was an opportunity for an up-and-coming designer (you do not need to be a student) to further their upcycling career and develop their own range for online sale, mentored by fashion designers at Massey. The winner of this award received:
• Access to Space Between studio and resources at Massey University, Wellington.
• Mentoring, from concept to final edit, by fashion design Senior Lecturer Jennifer Whitty and the Space
• Designer profile and acknowledgement on the Space Between website.
• Exclusive marketing of their garment range through the Space Between website.
• Payment based on garment sales.
To be eligible for this award, entrants must be able to work in Wellington, at least part-time, for a minimum of 3-4 weeks. Internship dates and hours of work are negotiable.